Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
About Facility Rentals:

Please review the following FAQs to see if your question has already been addressed below before contacting the CFA Events and Scheduling Coordinator.

If you do not see your question and answer addressed below, then please submit your question via email to the CFA Events and Scheduling Coordinator at

1. Can I call and see if my requested date is available before filling out the rental application?
Yes, you are welcome to contact us at any time with questions at 703-993-3729. However, space cannot be put in a “Hold” status until the Rental Application has been received and processed. You will be notified via email that your space is on hold once the Rental Application is approved. Also, date availability changes frequently and some dates might be available for smaller events, while it might not be available for larger events. Therefore, nothing is guaranteed until an application is reviewed.

2. How do I hold space so no one else can book it while program details are being worked out?
Requested space must be in a “Hold” status to be protected from other inquires requesting the same space. To put a space on a “Hold” status, a rental application must be completed in its entirety and submitted for approval. Upon receipt, someone will contact you and verify all information and contact your references. Once we schedule a meeting to discuss the event, your event will be placed in a “Hold” status. A “Hold” status gives you first right of refusal should anyone else request the same date and space.

3. What is the capacity of each space?
We have posted our seating charts and our room capacity on the Facility Rentals main page. Maximum capacities in the Lobby and Grand Tier III are subject to change based on the needs of the event.

4. Can I bring my own caterer to serve at my event?
Yes, as long as your caterer is on the Mason approved Caterer list. All caterers serving on any George Mason University campus location must be approved prior to the event. To become approved, please visit the Fiscal Services web site. The approval process is managed by Fiscal Services and can take up to three weeks depending on current business demands. Once a caterer is approved, they are listed on the Approved Caterers on the Fiscal Services web site and may serve at any Mason campus location.

5. Are there kitchen facilities in any of your venues?
There are no kitchen facilities within the Concert Hall or Harris Theater. There is a refrigerator backstage in both venues that can be used to store drinks and other small items for performers. Harris Theater also has a microwave that can be used by renters.

6. Can I serve alcohol at my function?
Yes, as long as the caterer has a current, active Virginia Department of Alcohol Beverage Control license. For specific information on how to obtain the necessary license, please visit the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control web site. Depending on the scope of the event, a Mason police officer may need to be hired to work the event. If deemed necessary, the cost of that service will be included in the estimate and we will make all arrangements for you.

7. What are the parking regulations for my guests? How many parking spots are there?
We offer hourly parking available in the adjacent Mason Pond parking garage. Renters can also pay a fee for Patron free parking in Lot K, which is located on the opposite side of the pond from the Concert Hall. Handicap parking is available in spots in the garage and in front of the main door to the Concert Hall.

8. Are there accommodations for my guests with accessibility needs?
Yes, our facilities are fully compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Among the ADA services provided:

If any of your guests have accessible needs, please contact us at 703-993-3729. Our staff is happy to assist and with advance notice, can make other special arrangements as needed.

9. Is a deposit required to confirm the space? Is the deposit refundable?
Yes, once your event’s estimate is complete, it will outline the deposit amount due to confirm the space, along with a signed contract. The deposit will reflect 50% of the base rate. The deposit can be submitted via check. Checks can be made payable to: GMU – Center for the Arts.

Deposits are NON-REFUNDABLE, however depending on the reason for a cancellation the managing staff at the Center for the Arts will work with you to try to find another date for your event.

10. How do I get to your facilities?
George Mason University is a large campus and it can be easy for people to get lost. We encourage renters to make use of the directions provided by the University.

For maps of the campus and directions to the Mason Pond parking garage please click here.